GWRI volunteers will be working on various teams to prepare for our family's arrival. If you'd like to help, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Closer to the family's arrival date, search for housing.
- Create a comprehensive list of everything needed for a 3 person household. See the list at the bottom of the page. Can you help with anything?
- Solicit promises of donations (we can't store it all ourselves!).
- Prepare welcome package.
- Meet the family at the airport.
- Assess clothing needs & know resources for getting necessary clothing.
- Arrange for immediate & short term food needs.
- Show the family around the city to help them become oriented.
- Grocery shopping, transit, bank account, mail, library, computer access, etc.
- Ensure IFHP coverage is in place & arrange MSP registration.
- Walk-in health clinic, 9-1-1 emergency assistance, interpreter services.
- MOSAIC settlement services, Britannia Community Centre, REACH Multicultural Centre, etc.
- SIN, phone & internet, library card, driver's license, community activities.
- Assist with finding resources & registering for language classes, work-related training, etc.
- Resume writing & preparing for job interviews.
Here's our home furnishing wish list.